In this article, we will discuss a common transmission issue in BMW X5 E70 models and provide an affordable solution to fix it. Many BMW owners often face the problem of their car not shifting to drive or reverse when the vehicle becomes hot. This issue can be frustrating and costly, as many people end up replacing the entire transmission, which can cost thousands of dollars. However, we have found a cheap and simple fix that can save you from this expensive replacement. By following our step-by-step guide, you can easily solve this transmission problem without the need to open the transmission itself.
Symptoms of the Issue
Before we dive into the solution, let’s understand the symptoms of this transmission issue. The driver may experience difficulty shifting to drive or reverse, especially when the car is hot. In some cases, the driver needs to go back and forth between drive and reverse multiple times to make the car move. Additionally, pushing the accelerator pedal forcefully may be required to get the car to jump and move. Furthermore, the transmission malfunctioning warning light may occasionally appear on the dashboard. If you’re facing any of these symptoms, it’s highly likely that you’re dealing with the common transmission issue in BMW X5 E70 models.
Now let’s get to the solution. The key component that needs replacement is a plastic bridge, which is a relatively inexpensive part costing only $40. Here’s how you can fix the issue:
Step 1: Remove the Transmission Pan
- After draining the transmission oil, carefully remove the transmission pan.
- This can be done by unscrewing the screws holding the pan in place.
- The pan will give you access to the mechatronic module.
Step 2: Remove the Mechatronic Module
- Unscrew the module to detach it from the transmission.
- The mechatronic module is responsible for controlling the transmission’s shifting functions.
Step 3: Identify and Replace the Plastic Bridge
- On the left side behind the mechatronic module, you will find the plastic bridge.
- This bridge is labeled as “valve body adapter” and is the culprit behind the shifting issue.
- Over time, the bridge gets cracked and bent, causing improper shifting.
- Remove the old plastic bridge and replace it with a new one.
- The plastic bridge can be easily purchased for around $40.
Step 4: Reassemble the Transmission
- Once the new plastic bridge is in place, reassemble the transmission in the reverse order of disassembly.
- This is an excellent opportunity to also replace the transmission pan, filter, screws, and gasket.
Cost of the Fix
The total cost of this fix, including the part and labor, is relatively low. On average, each repair session can cost around $580 Canadian dollars. Considering the potential expense of replacing the entire transmission, this is an affordable solution that can save you significant money in the long run.
While replacing the plastic bridge is the primary fix for this transmission issue, there are also other plastic components that you may consider replacing. However, keep in mind that these additional replacements are not necessarily defective and may not be required for addressing the shifting problem.
In conclusion, if you own a BMW X5 E70 and are experiencing difficulty shifting to drive or reverse when the car is hot, this article has provided an affordable solution to fix the issue. By replacing the plastic bridge behind the mechatronic module, you can eliminate the shifting problem without the need to replace the entire transmission. Follow the step-by-step process outlined in this article and save yourself from the expensive transmission replacement. Don’t let a common transmission issue ruin your BMW driving experience. Take action, replace the plastic bridge, and enjoy seamless shifting once again.
If you have any further questions or need assistance, feel free to contact us. If you found this article helpful, don’t forget to share, like, and subscribe to our channel for more valuable content. Thank you for reading and happy driving!